Next Branch Meeting
Details of our next general meeting will be posted here as sssn as they become available.
Upcoming Activities January/February 2024
Ukulele Classes begin January 12th at Mayo Tennis Club.
Phone Master Class begins on Wednesday 7th Feb in Mayo Ed.centre.
Cookery Demo in Westport on Sat 24th Feb.
Plans in the pipe line for an online bridge group.
Review of Branch Activities 2023
It was a busy year with lots of activities discussed and implemented.
- A delayed AGM and Mass for deceased members was held in January 2022. This also marked the retirement of Chairperson Marie Verity and Secretary/Treasurer Úna Quinn, both of whom had given great service to the branch.They were replaced by Mary O’Reilly and Pat Collins.
- Branch Committee meetings explored the activities that could/should be arranged for members. An ambitious list was compiled and included: Day Trip, Away Trip, Choir/Trad Group, Cookery, Pottery, Sean Nós Dancing, Whist, Online Bridge, Online Book club, IT Upskilling and Ukulele, all subject to interest and availability of tutors.
- Our summer meeting was held in May. This marked the last official visit of retiring general Secretary Billy Sheehan. Tributes were paid to Billy who always gave a comprehensive report on matters of relevance to members. The meeting also informed the members of upcoming events and ideas.
- A very interesting Day Trip was enjoyed by 27 members on 22nd Corduff Coach Hire took the group to Rathcroghan Visitor Centre in Tulsk, Co. Roscommon, followed by a guided tour of Strokestown House and Famine Museum followed by a meal in Keenans, Tarmonbarry, overlooking the Shannon,
- A 4 day, 3 night trip to the Sunny South East took place in October under the advice and services of JMG Travel, Donegal. The group explored Waterford City, walked on Tramore beach, visited Johnstown Castle, The Kennedy Homestead and the Waterford Crystal factory while based In The Park Hotel, Dungarvan. It fulfilled most of the requirements recommended for positive ageing – communication, adequate exercise, learn something new and maybe to a lesser extent eating and sleeping well!! A flying visit to The Hunt Museum, Limerick, on the way home whetted the appetite for a return visit at a more leisurely pace.
- The AGM and mass for retired teachers, celebrated by Fr. Tommie Mulligan, a former primary teacher, was held on 22nd Ms Maura Murphy from Mayo Co.Council addressed the meeting on the age friendly policies at Mayo Co Co.
- The IT Upskilling six weeks course, attended by ten members, began in November and concentrated on all aspects of smart phone usage and etiquette. A waiting list means that another class will be held in February 2024.
- The Branch sent a customised Christmas Card to all members.
- Right through the year, the retired teachers and friends’ choir – Harmonia- meet weekly in Swinford and enhanced the annual mass, at the AGM. They also perform an annual concert in The Linenhall Centre, Castlebar during the Bealtaine festival. The Trad Group also meet weekly at the same venue.
- The year ended with a Christmas lunch for 36 people at The Moy Hotel, Foxford on the 13th of December. It was good to see members meet, chat and catch up.
The other activities mentioned earlier are still in the pipe line for 2024.
Chairperson: Marie Verity
38, Knockaphunta Park, Castlebar, Co Mayo.
Tel. 094 90 23162/087 941 9449…………. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice Chairman: Michael Slack
Corrembla South, Ballina, Co Mayo
Tel.: 096 45135/087 671 1910…………..Email: email@example.com
Secretary/Treasurer: Pat Collins
Committee members: Detta Molloy; Noreen Sadler; Mary O Reilly; Anna Mae Bourke; Catherine Dunne; Rita Nestor; Betty Sheridan; Mary Whyte; Pádraig Cunnane;
Branch Committee Members: