The Retired Teachers’ Association of Ireland (RTAI) is a vibrant and energetic fellowship of retired primary teachers. Founded in Dublin in the early 50’s it has grown to over 10,000 members organised in 32 branches throughout the 26 counties.
There are two key aspects to the work of the Association. Firstly, at national level there is a strong focus on looking after the interests of retired teachers in relation to pensions and other issues that impact on their welfare and wellbeing. Providing advice and services to individual members is central to this aspect of our work.
The policies and direction of the RTAI are set by an annual delegate convention. A twelve member National Executive Committee, comprising 11 retired teachers elected annually and the General Secretary oversee the activities of the Association on an ongoing basis.
The RTAI works closely with other kindred organisations and in particular values its relationship with the INTO.
Objectives of the RTAI
The objectives for which the Retired Teacher’s Association of Ireland is established are as follows:
To unite and organise the retired primary school teachers of Ireland and to provide a means for the expression of their collective opinion on matters affecting their interests as retired teachers.
- To afford advice to individual members on matters relevant to their status as retired teachers.
- To safeguard and improve the conditions of retired teachers.
- To promote cooperation and fraternal links at national and local level with the INTO.
- To promote, organise and arrange social and educational events for members of the Association.
- To promote co-operation and fraternal links at national and local level with kindred associations and organisations.
- To assist charitable causes and appeals through the association’s Solidarity Fund as set out in the Rules.
Ms Mary McCarthy
President; Ms Charlotte Maye Vice-President; Mr Pádraig S Ó Conaill Ex President
Mr. John O'Brien
The members of the NEC for 2023/2024 are:
District 1: Ms. Bhrighidín Hawke
District 2: Ms Máire Ní Chuinneagáin
District 3: Ms. Julie O’Connor
District 4: Mr. Fachtna Hamilton
District 5: Ms. Marian Ryan
District 6 : Ms. Noeleen Rooney
District 7: Mr. John Conroy
District 8: Ms. Eileen McCauliffe