RTAI Annual Convention was held in the Gresham Hotel, Dublin on 5th March 2020. Below is the list of resolutions passed:
- agrees that the parity link between the salaries of serving teachers and the pensions of retired teachers is a core principle for RTAI; and
- instructs the NEC to seek the support of the INTO to ensure the preservation of such parity in any future pay agreement to be concluded after the current PSSA.
Convention demands that the eligibility threshold for the over 70s medical card should be increased significantly and should increase annually, thereafter, in accordance with the cost of living increase.
Repeal of FEMPI
Convention instructs the NEC to use its influence and goodwill with the INTO, Alliance of Retired Public Servants (ARPS) and ICTU to press for the full repeal of the Financial Emergency Measures in the Public Interest (FEMPI) Acts.
Standing Orders Committee
Rule 26 B delete second sentence: ‘Members of the NEC, SOC, FSC and branch delegates at the Annual Convention shall each receive a voting paper.’ And replace with: ‘Branch delegates from within the electoral Division shall receive a voting paper.’
Financial Supervisory Committee
Rule 27 B delete second sentence: ‘Members of the NEC, SOC, FSC and branch delegates at the Annual Convention shall each receive a voting paper.’ And replace with: ‘Branch delegates from within the electoral Division shall receive a voting paper.’
Date of Branch AGM
Rule 28 E: ‘Each branch shall hold at least two meetings a year, one in the month of November/December which will be the annual general meeting (AGM) of the branch.’
Delete ‘November/December’ and substitute ‘October/November/December’.
Financial Grants & Solidarity Fund
Rule 30 B: ‘The income to the Fund will be €2 per member per annum.’
Delete €2 and substitute €3
Convention requests that the NEC liaise with INTO and relevant authorities so that the revised PPS numbers of women who used to have PPS numbers ending in W, will be accepted by all Government Departments and Agencies.
Single premium AVCs
Convention instructs the NEC to review with a suitably qualified financial/taxation advisor all the possible benefits of ‘Single premium AVCs’ for retiring teachers and to liaise with the INTO to ensure that such information is made available to retiring teachers before they retire.
State Pension (Contributory)
Convention instructs the NEC:
- to investigate the conditions and PRSI contribution requirements under which some retired teachers, who were Class D PRSI contributors during their teaching careers, may still qualify for payment of some level of the State Pension (Contributory) in addition to their teacher’s pension;
- to report their findings to the membership at the earliest possible opportunity via Comhnasc or at Branch meetings; and
- to share their findings with the INTO
Restoration of benefits
Convention directs the NEC to use its influence to restore Age Related Benefits.